Horse riding an integral part of life at Broadacres Academy
One of the things we pride ourselves in at Broadacres Academy is that we offer our Preschool children the opportunity to have a horse ride every week or two. This is part of the teachers’ planning and is certainly a highlight of the children’s week.
This horse riding experience is simply a few minute’s ride around the paddock, lead by our groomsman, Moses Marwa. Nonetheless, it is always a pleasure to see the joy on each little face as the children experience the ride.
Longstanding relationship with Farnham Riding School and Livery Yard
Broadacres Academy has a long-standing partnership with Farnham Riding School and Livery Yard. Petrus Mashiri, their qualified riding instructor, comes to the school each week on a Wednesday morning, and offers extra-mural horse riding lessons.
Petrus has been offering riding lessons at Broadacres Academy for the past 10 years. He is an exceptional instructor, and he manages to achieve the most amazing things during each lesson.
10 Benefits of horse riding for children
Horse riding is a fun recreational activity, but it offers many intrinsic benefits for children as well:
- From a physical development side, horse riding improves balance and motor coordination. Hand-eye coordination, core strength and muscular development also benefit from horse riding.
- Horse riding has been shown to improve cognitive abilities in some children. In some cases, an improvement in brain-based skills may lead to enhanced learning, memory and problem-solving.
- Studies show how the effects of horse riding can improve children’s learning ability. The movements of the horses during riding may improve learning in children by activating the sympathetic nervous system.
- As a child progresses in their horse riding skills, they develop self-confidence and self-assurance.
- Horse riding offers a great workout for both the mind and body, physically boosting the cardiovascular system and easing stress in the mind. Today, where children are exposed to so much external stimuli, they need healthy, and relaxing down time.
- The therapeutic and psychological benefits of horse riding can be of equal importance to your child as the physical benefits.
- Horse riding as a sport helps in creating a disciplined child. It teaches a lot of self-discipline and can increase your child’s patience levels as well as help define their focus and control.
- There are emotional benefits to be derived from horse riding as well. One of the first things that a young rider learns, is to act confidently in the face of fear and uncertainty. This is because if the rider appears scared of something, the horse senses this and will feel the fear as well. Horses are very sensitive to the emotions of their riders and will often mirror those emotions.
- Riding is a brilliant way to bring shy children out of their shells. Children who are by nature timid, often open up to a pony. Think about it… ponies never judge or bully, instead they can seem especially in tune with a rider’s troubles.
- The educational benefits of horse riding are great for younger children. They are encouraged to count the ears and legs of the pony, the pony’s hoof-beats and their place in the ride.
Life skills are learnt through horse riding
Developing all the skills above are essential for growth as not only as a young horse rider but can also be beneficial to young children.
More importantly, the skills mentioned above can also be applied outside the world of horse riding.
Your child might think that horse riding is just all great fun, and it is, but they will be learning skills for a lifetime of success as well.
For your child to experience some of the many benefits of horse riding, we strongly recommend that you sign up with Farnham Riding School and experience the joy of riding with Petrus. Petrus Mashiri is a qualified instructor and one of the top coaches at the prestigious Farnham Riding School and Livery Yard in Kyalami.
A unique opportunity
Petrus runs lessons every Wednesday morning at Broadacres Academy as an optional extra-mural for preschoolers. The first time I watched one of our three-year-old children having a riding lesson, it blew my mind!
The amount of teaching moments and skills taught in just one lesson was amazing to see.
The child could do things on the horse I would never even dream of attempting!
To have this facility available to you as an optional extra-mural for your preschooler (2 – 5 years) during the school day at Broadacres Academy is a unique opportunity not often found in a city school! It is something special, and I encourage you to consider horse riding as an extra-mural activity for your child.
Sign up for horse riding as an extra-mural
Horse riding as an optional extra mural for Prep School children (Gr 0 – Gr3) takes place in the afternoons at Farnham Riding School in Kyalami.
If you have any further questions around the horse riding extra-mural, please contact Nicola on 082-803-9903. You can collect a registration form from the school Admin office, or email: email@example.com
Join Broadacres Academy today!
Broadacres Academy offers the community a:
- Crèche for children aged 9 – 18 months;
- Preschool for children aged 2 to 5 years old;
- Junior Preparatory School for children in Grade 0 – 3 (up to Grade 7 by 2020) and a
- Tutor Centre for registered homeschoolers from Grade 6 – Grade 12.
(As children in Grade 6 and 7 progress into higher grades, these two grades will be phased out and incorporated into the Preparatory School, leaving Grade 8 to Grade 12 in the Tutor Centre.)
If it’s your desire for your child to love learning and stay curious in a nurturing environment, then arrange a visit Broadacres Academy today and experience the joy of a natural learning community!